Sunday, 29 January 2012

About my brief trip to Derry.

I decided to take a break from blogging last night when I arrived back in Belfast. It was not that I didn't want to, I was just physically too tired to do anything but stare out in the open air. Derry/Londonderry was great and I had such a good time. I always knew I would, I know my friend and I know that the people that she hangs about with are just as open and friendly to strangers as she is. Although I didn't drink enough to ever feel properly drunk, I did manage to get quite a few drinks in me over the night. That's what happens when you start partying at 7pm and end at 7am. The fact that I only slept four hours also shattered me. 

I didn't take a single picture of Derry. I forgot my camera in my travelling bag when we went out, and the following day I spent my last hours half-lying in a couch, before taking a taxi to the bus station. In other words, I didn't get to see anything that would've been worth taking a picture of anyway. My Derry-friend now tells me I should visit for an entire weekend, and so we could go visit "the wall". The wall surrounds the inner city of Derry (which has looked exactly the same for a couple of centuries I think) and you can take a walk on it, which apparently gives you a great view. It sounds just like the kind of thing I would love to do but I was honestly just too hungover to even consider the idea this Saturday. I'd be very keen on spending an entire weekend in Derry but I don't think I'd survive two nights of partying the way they do. 

Generally the natives of Derry tell me the city is "a shithole" (direct quotation from about four friends) and that there's no point in visiting it but I genuinely liked the city. I got the feeling that it's very "hilly", or at least it felt that way when we were walking through it at 3am. The streets are quite narrow and overall it looks more like the back-alleys in north of Dublin than Belfast. This could be a good or a bad thing, depending on what you think of Dublin. I'm not too fond of Dublin anymore because of it's crowds but it is still a beautiful city, and Derry gives you a similar feeling. It also helps that it's small enough to be cozy but it's still a city with all that a bigger place offers. For any Swedes from Scania - I think it's approximately the same size as Lund. 

Anyone I met was really friendly and I thoroughly enjoyed my stay. I didn't hear of a single bombscare during my visit and I felt relatively safe the entire time. Does Derry have an unjustified bad reputation? I think so. Real bombs do occur there very often and it is such a shame. 


No comments:

Post a Comment