Thursday, 9 February 2012

My thoughts about The Descendants

As I mentioned in a post a couple of days ago, I went to the cinema on Friday with my friend Kathryn and saw The Descendants. I hadn't heard of the movie before and so I didn't know what it was about at all but after a quick check on reviews, I decided to give it a shot. 

The movie is set in Hawaii and follows a man, played by George Clooney, as he deals with the fact that his wife is in a coma. He is left alone with his two daughters, the youngest being the odd one in school and the oldest partying away at boarding school, and realises that he doesn't actually know them as well as he should. As he re-evaluates his relationship with his daughters he also finds out more about his relationship with his wife. While the situation unfolds, there is a second storyline playing out. Matt is responsible for the decision of selling a vast amount of land on one of the islands of Hawaii, to the advantage of his relatives. 

There is really very little I can say about the movie without telling the entire storyline. I have a feeling that to appreciate it you should watch it with as little expectations as possible. Therefore I would also recommend to stay away from any trailers, although if you feel that you would like to get a "feel" of what the movie is like you can watch the one at the bottom. However, stay away from the first official trailer. It is awful and makes the movie seem a lot worse than it is. The main strengths of the movie is the acting and the dialogue. The actors feel genuine most of the time and the conversations between the characters flow smoothly. There are a few moments when you can't help but chuckle, but calling it a drama-comedy is taking it a step to far, I think. One of my favourite parts of this movie is that it is set on Hawaii but gives us an insight to what life is for people who live there, rather than what a tourist would see. 

Overall this is a good movie if you enjoy slow-paced stories but with a nice feeling to them. If my dad reads this: You should see this movie, you'll appreciate it.



No comments:

Post a Comment