Monday, 19 March 2012

About Catching Fire (The Hunger Games)

So I finished the second book about an hour ago. As with the first one, once I had started reading I just couldn't let go of it, and now I'm hastily writing this post so that I can allow myself to buy the third book from Amazon. (In case anyone wonders, I read these books on the Kindle app on my iPod Touch - one of the best device+app combinations ever.)

The shame about the second book in trilogies is that they so often feel like nothing but bridges in between the first and the third book. And for anyone about to start the second book - yes, unfortunately the first third of the book is unbelievably boring. Far too many teenage squabbles and not enough things actually happening. But after that first third it picks up and starts to resemble the first book in many ways. Lots of things going on, quick changes and turns in the storyline. (Although it has to be said, it's never quite as nailbiting or sad as the first book.) In many ways it feels a little bit like you're filled with a numb resolution, much like the main character in the story.

It is difficult to write about Catching Fire without giving anything away from the story in this, or the previous book. It is not as good as the first book, possibly because of the feeling that this is just a bridge. The ending in this book is very promising though and leads to the feeling of something much grander happening in the third book, which contrasts with the ending in the first book which I found quite disappointing. As before, the writing style is the same as in the first book but perhaps harder to ignore because of the slow pace in comparison. Before finishing this post I think it's important to point out that I might be wrong in my judgement of the story. A book should start a little slow and then build up, which this book does, but I finished the first book and started on the second right away, with my adrenaline still pumping from the previous events. In other words, for this book to be rightly appreciated, a pause between the first and the second book might be required.

Off to read the third book!

No comments:

Post a Comment