Tuesday, 3 April 2012

Cocteau Twins - Heaven or Las Vegas

Last week's album was a special one because me and my brother did not find it through Paste's list of the 90 best albums of the 90s... I don't know how my brother found this album at all, but I'm very happy that he did.

Cocteau Twins - Heaven or Las Vegas
An album from such an early part of the 1990s that it still sounds like the 80s. A sprinkle of synth, a dash of Kate Bush-like voice and completely nonsensical lyrics. And it just works. This may not be right up everyone else's street but it suited me very well. This is the kind of music that works well as both background music while you make your dinner (while also showing off a few dance moves in your lonely kitchen, if you're anything like me) and when you're giving the music all of your attention and emotions. It's just really catchy and moving at the same time. Spotify couldn't keep up with my listening of this album, so I ended up buying it from iTunes. Considering how broke I am, that's a good review. My favourite songs from this album are Cherry-Coloured Funk and Fifty-Fifty Clown, although I'm also partial to Road, River and Rail and Frou-Frou Foxes in Midsummer Fires. Heck, they're all good.

This week's album is the first 23 songs from The Magnetic Fields - 69 Love Songs. This is the start of our Easter project, to give the entire album an honest chance.

As this was the fifth 1990s-album that my brother and I listened to I thought I'd do a little compilation of what I think of all the albums so far:


My own personal rating of the last five week's albums:
Belle and Sebastian - If You're Feeling Sinister 8/10
Morrissey - Bona Drag 6/10
Nas - Illmatic 4/10
Beck - Odelay 5/10
Cocteau Twins - Heaven or Las Vegas 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment