Monday, 14 May 2012

Three great albums in May

Broken Social Scene - Forgiveness Rock Record
This is probably a very difficult album to describe even to people who know music because it's such a mixture of styles and influences. When I listen to this album I feel like I'm charged with energy. Not raw energy, like when you listen to newly-formed bands that scream out their emotional difficulties and teenage angst, this is smooth and meticulously well-planned energy, the kind that go so easy on your soul that you feel like you'd like to run a marathon. (Well, at least sign up for it.) There's nothing boring about it, the songs vary from each other in terms of instruments and style, they even vary within the songs. Out of fourteen songs, I gave five of them four stars. 'Nuff said. (Sorry.) I particularly like Forced to Love, Ungrateful Little Father and Sweetest Kill.

Field Music - Plumb
A friend of mine recommended this album and I was sceptical... But I shouldn't have been. It's a very good album. There's a 70s, retro feeling about it, it makes me think of British seaside and rainy summer days. Not surprisingly, I constantly feel like I'm listening to Metronomy as that is exactly what their last album made me think of. And, what possibly is a giant taboo when discussing music, I also sometimes feel like this could have been on a my-own-interpretation-of-The-White-Album. Is that wrong? Probably. There's nothing tough or angry about this album, but it certainly exists on its own terms. Not to mention, the vocals combined with the lyrics are brilliant. Choosing Sides and Guillotine are two of my personal favourites.

Kent - Jag Ar Inte Radd For Morkret
(Imagine the right Swedish letters replacing a few of the letters up there. English keyboard y'all know.) It is almost emotional for me to write what I think about this album because Kent is the band that made me realise how much good music that's actually out there once upon a time. In fact, this year probably marks the 10-year mark of when my music taste started developing. And I bet that there is an insanely huge amount of people in Sweden who would agree with me. Why is that? ... In my own humble opinion, Kent started off as being all about the lyrics, the ones who sang what teenage-you imagined that your own thoughts would be if you only were slightly more refined. As I got older, and as Kent got older, that connection between us was lost. At the time I thought that maybe I had changed, or maybe their sound had changed too much. The music was more mature, it was better... And yet they didn't touch my heart the same way they once did. Maybe it was a bit of both. But you know, I was wrong. Their new album has taken a few steps (a few years) back to the point where it reminds me of 2005's Du och Jag Doden. Maybe this is only an album that a true fangirl could appreciate as much as I do, but if that's the way things are, let me describe what I hear when I listen to this album: Hot air, warm tarmac, unforgiving sunshine, eyes behind a fringe, cheap wine, soft lips, dirty shoes and a sense of being invulnerable despite all.

No comments:

Post a Comment