Thursday, 11 October 2012

One of those rare, happy posts

I had to do a post today because I had such a good day. Lately I've been making an effort to try to be more positive so that at the end of each day I can cheer myself up and go "well I might be stressed out BUT I did enjoy that cookie I bought this morning". Or maybe something less pathetic as a happiness-source (but cookies really do make a world of difference). Anyway, then a day like this comes along and I just go overload on positive feelings. That doesn't happen often to me (unless it's Christmas).

Steve came home from his business trip yesterday. So that's actually a happy thing that happened yesterday but it was nice to see him this morning and know that he is back in the country and whenever I'm reminded of this fact it really cheers me up. I don't mean to sound so soppy. I'm totally aware that I can survive without him (and I enjoy having the occasional evening to myself) but long working days for him without that many opportunities for a quick text-catch up really makes me feel like I've got three days of information that has filled me to the brim and I need to tell him about my exciting life asap. And now he's back, to my service!

I had my first driving lesson this morning. Long story short; I practiced driving a couple of times when I had just turned 16 years old. I was terrified. It's only recently that I realised where it went wrong because I got the idea of driving no problem, the person instructing me was doing a good job, but I had major confidence issues when it came to me behind the wheels. I still do. I feel like a prayer is necessary for all the pedestrians that may be stepping outside the door every time I go near a car. So after a couple of driving sessions of which I left each with my legs shaking and feeling like a wreck, I postponed the next one. I was so successful at postponing the next lesson that it didn't happen until today, six years later. (Obviously other things hindered me, such as actually paying for the license, not just my mental state). Today, however, I feel is a turning point. I went to a lesson and although I was terrified I still managed to do everything that was asked of me. And a small part of me enjoyed it. A huge part of me enjoys entertaining the thought of being able to drive in a year. Good motivation.

After a quick change and a couple of flighty texts about my driving lesson I took a brisk walk down to the local primary school. Steve's niece goes to the school and I had promised to visit the class and talk a little bit about Sweden as they were studying the country for the week. At that point I was so nervous that I would gladly had driven for another hour, but I really shouldn't have been. It turns out that once I stand in front of 50 children and get to talk about Sweden, I can keep going without any problems. After half an hour of talking all the children got to ask me questions (like "What is the most popular type of pet in Sweden?", "Does Sweden have Sky?" and "Have you ever seen the Northern Lights?") and that kept us going for another half hour. The time flew by and I got a card as well as a box of chocolates for my troubles. I had so much fun!

Lastly, I received a call from a local O2 shop saying that they had received two iPhone 5s in stock and me and Steve were both desperate to get one each. Steve wanted one because he always wants the latest iPhone and I wanted one because I've been using a half-functioning phone that currently has to have its back off otherwise the sim won't work in it. So I got my iPhone. I finally caught up with the rest of the world and got a fully functioning phone that can do everything that other phones can do. I don't think I'll ever do coursework on the train again, now that I have my iPhone. Materialistic happiness.

So that was my day and all in all it was a really good one. There's just no way that tomorrow could be as good but I'm going to try to keep an open mind. (Plus it's almost weekend).

No comments:

Post a Comment