Tuesday, 28 May 2013

How to selfmedicate (with Primark) for identity crisis

Yesterday I skyped with my dad and found out that my grandmother had transferred over a welcome little sum as a birthday present (very early since it's still almost two weeks until my birthday). I was calm all Monday. Until the evening came and I cracked. Look, I have not bought anything for myself for so long. I needed to make up for all that non-shopping. Also I was having a bit of a tough time yesterday, it being my first day as an unemployed student and all (I had the typical after university crisis - how am I going to survive? What am I going to do with my life? WHO AM I?) and honestly, I don't need to justify myself in own blog. That's right, I do what I want.



I present to you: Primark stuff. I took the train to Belfast because I also felt like I needed to get out of the house and then I visited Primark because that is the place to go if the aim of your shopping is quantity. Not always value for money. Just plain quantity. I don't even know if I like any of these things. (Actually, I definitely do like the sunglasses. So rad.) And I also kind of like the rings, and the bracelets and the face cloths. Is that a neon pink shirt with gold speckles? When will I wear this? Plus an aztec patterned vest (because giving into trends the moment they probably start going downhill is right up my street) and a pair of tiny dotted shorts. I wanted printed shorts for so long - I was gonna get printed shorts no matter what. These will be worn when we go to holiday and until then I'm going to use them as loungewear. (The name loungewear is what makes wearing pyjamas at 3pm whilst eating cereal and watching youtube acceptable.) Also I got socks because it's necessary and also because I used them to distract Steve and to be able to say "I bought necessities" without totally lying.

You know what? It worked. I still want to shop, but now I feel like I can wait for a while. (Sidenote; does anyone else do that thing where they pick up loads of small things in Primark and then do a quick calculation which ends with "how did that become £30 so quickly?") Specifically, now I feel like I can wait until my birthday at which point I'm going to buy more stuff. For now I'm keeping the tags on this stuff because honestly, I'm not sure how I feel about that vest or those shorts. Next up on my Tuesday night schedule; Youtube videos and Arrested Development. Identity crisis averted.

No comments:

Post a Comment