Saturday, 20 July 2013

Current books on my wishlist

I'm currently sitting in the shade of my garden and perusing the latest books that I desperately want to read (but I'm trying not to until I've read all of the ones we already have in the house. The Hobbit and Life of Pi are still only barely started.) I'm hoping by the time my holiday comes around I will have finished these books so that I can allow myself one or two new purchases...!

Life After Life by Kate Atkinson
A book about a woman who relives her life over and over again in order to do it right. Which, honestly, sounds like a real pain. However I downloaded a sample of the book from Amazon and now I'm hooked. Set in the first half of the 20th century, the sample is entertaining with the promise of becoming really thrilling.

The Red Book by Deborah Copaken Kogan
Like the previous book, this was also shortlisted for the woman's prize in Fiction. It surrounds a number of graduates from a prestigious American university (the name of it has escaped my mind at the moment. Probably Harvard) and the red book in which they have to update the details of their lives before each reunion which is then sent out to all graduates of that year. It looks fascinating. 

The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger
I never watched the movie because at the time of it's release I deemed it to be a chick flick and I was waaay too cool for chick flicks. And so I never bothered about the book either. However now tha the sequel to the book has been realised I suddenly realised that I might've missed a real gem. I downloaded the sample and it's hilarious. Perfect for a summer holiday.

The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith
Let's be honest. We all know why I want to read this book. Last week's revelation that the author is in fact JK Rowling has made it far more popular than it ever would have under the name "Robert" and obviously I also want to read it to see if I can spot all the familiar JK Rowling clues. I have however read several pre-revelation reviews and they are very flattering to dear Robert. A crime novel written by the creator of Harry Potter for adults? Yes please.

No comments:

Post a Comment