Thursday, 9 January 2014

2013 - a year in books

This is the last of my posts that are about a year long over. I promise. But after watching so many people say stuff like "I only read 73 books in 2013", I felt like I needed to get back into reading. I'm going to try to document as many books as possible on the blog because... You know, it's important. And writing about books makes me instantly want to read more books! Here's a little list of all the books I read in 2013. Plus a sentence of what I thought of it because I need to express my opinions about these important things.

Image from my Pinterest.

Ready Player One - Ernest Cline
LOVED this YA book about a future where gaming is more important than reality. 8/10.

The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared - Jonas Jonasson
Kind of funny Swedish Forrest Gump-style book that gets a bit repetitive after a while. 6/10.

Kafka on the Shore - Haruki Murakami
An exciting but dark detective story in Murakami style i.e. there's talking cats. 7/10.

Emma - Jane Austen
Fine when I read it but I can't reread these classics without yawning (don't shoot me). 5/10.

IQ84 - Haruki Murakami
Would get ridiculous praise from me if I didn't feel like it tried to make my brain explode at times. 8/10.

The Host - Stephanie Meyer
It's like Twilight but with much more interesting characters and no vampires but aliens instead. 6/10.

Where'd You Go, Bernadette - Maria Semple
Hilarious and makes you love the characters as if they were your babies, sort of. 9/10.

May We Be Forgiven - AM Homes
Don't be put off by the gruesome start, the love for the characters sneak up on you. 9/10.

The Devil Wears Prada - Lauren Weisberger
It's definitely entertaining but it's not like it touches your soul. 5/10.

The Red Book - Deborah Copaken Kogan
Surprisingly good and wonderfully intricate relationships. 7/10.

The Fault in Our Stars - John Green
Great from a cancer-book point of view but the romance didn't really sway me as I expected. 7/10.

Delicacy - David Foenkinos
Quirky and cute love story that is anything but predictable. 7/10.

P.S. I've linked the ones that I actually wrote about at the time of reading them. As you can see I had an ambitious (and partly unemployed) summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment