Thursday, 30 January 2014

Reading Life of Pi

Another book review, it's like it's Christmas every day around here! Seriously though, I'm enjoying this.















I started reading Life of Pi more than a year ago and I had huge expectations. It won the Man Booker Prize 2002 and I have enjoyed every book that has been nominated for the Man Booker prize so far. Statistically it feels like I have a special connection with these books. So when I put Life of Pi to the side after only a few chapters, I don't know what had happened. (Spoiler; I just didn't give it enough time, which seems to be a common issue in the world of book-reading.) When I decided to start over the other day I found myself completely captivated by Pi and his story. I'm having trouble deciding exactly how to describe the plot of this book because at times I wish that I had known as little as possible before reading it. Pi is a sixteen-year-old boy from India who grows up with a zoo and a strong passion for religion. He devotes his life to Christianity, Islam and Hinduism (much to his parents' distress) and observing the animals in the zoo until the day that his family decides to move to Canada. Unfortunately the boat never makes it that far and Pi finds himself in a lifeboat with a terrifying Richard Parker for an extended period of time.

This is an unglamorous story about surviving horrible conditions, resorting to things that you never imagined you'd be able to but also about inner strength. I loved Pi's thoughts on religion (most of my favourite quotes from this book concerned religion) and how they're all pretty much the same thing. Nothing new, but nevertheless lovely to read about. This is not a book filled with action - there will be several pages describing the flavour of raw fish. It's not a book that can be rushed through, it's a story to enjoy. The true hero in more ways than one is Pi who is the most unintentionally hilarious boy you could imagine and even in the darkest moments of the story he cheered me up. Read if you love a story that's unbelievable yet you start believing it a little bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment