Sunday, 16 February 2014

Week 7 - our London trip


I just came home from the BEST trip to London... although way too short. And also when we landed on Friday there was quite a bit of turbulence. Picture a roller coaster which is slowly making you nauseous - and you've paid £60 to ride it for an hour. No fun. We were absolutely exhausted, crap at reading signs and finding the right train and when we finally made it into the city centre we were so hungry that we stopped at the train station for burritos (cornerstone in our diet) despite the fact that it was Valentine's Day. The burrito was actually pretty good and at that point our bad luck seemed to turn. Our hotel was amazing. This might've been helped by the fact that we bought our standard hotel room when it was on sale and then randomly got an upgrade to a deluxe room. I wasn't gonna turn that down. Mega comfortable bed in a room the size of half our house, thank you.

Also, good hotel breakfast has a special place in my heart for a reason. I could eat croissants for the rest of my life.

On Saturday morning we went to the Natural History Museum and discovered that a morning is not nearly enough time in there. Do you ever want to see pictures of massive amounts of bones? I've got 'em. And pictures of the waffles we ate afterwards too. We then went to a church for the very intimate concert that we had booked the trip for in the first place. It was the first time I had ever seen a symphony and it blew me away. I may have cried a bit, because I'm a loser and I become very emotional when I listen to music live, especially if there's a cute pianist involved. We then went to Harrods and pretended to genuinely look at things and then I bought tea because the tin was ridiculously cute. For some reason I decided that walking home from Harrods through Hyde Park would be a great idea, and in my defense my map app claimed that it would only take us 13 minutes. That app was wrong beyond belief. It took us 45 minutes and I have no idea why I had chosen to wear heels on a day out in London. I'm pretty sure a few of my brain cells were lost during that turbulence. After some rest we went to an Italian restaurant and stuffed ourselves. Then we rolled home and watched a movie in the hotel room. We're wild like that.

I wanted to get some time in London today but we had to leave the city around 11am to get to the airport in time. It just seemed like an unnecessary amount of stress to fit in more sightseeing or shopping, so instead we enjoyed our hotel breakfast and decided that a return visit needs to happen very, very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment