Thursday, 22 May 2014

Reading Me and Earl and the Dying Girl

This sounds like the most depressive book ever. Which I'm assuming is exactly what the author Jesse Andrews was going for.

And surprise! It is not very depressive at all. Okay, tears may be shed at one point or another but most of the time it's just hilarious. I was actually grinning like a fool while reading this on the train. People glared at me, that's how happy I looked. Me and Earl and the Dying Girl revolves around this pasty, chubby 17-year old named Greg Gaines and that one time that his mom decided to force him to become friends with a dying girl. Greg is already busy doing his best to be as inconspicuous as possible in high school as well as building his career as a filmmaker. (His colleague is Earl. And Earl is absolutely insane.) Unfortunately Greg's mom always gets what she wants and Greg becomes known as the guy who hangs out with the girl with cancer.

This book is short. As in, really short. I finished it in three train trips and I don't have very far to travel. Also there is an interesting formatting approach where Greg uses script when retelling a dialogue (as he is a filmmaker, obviously). This is a little bit annoying at the start. Stick with it. It makes for some funny reading. The book also manages to keep things easy to relate to. I love that it didn't shy away from profanity or discussing stuff that you'd assume every teenager thinks about. Finally, despite being a book that sounds like it's about someone who has a terminal illness, it's actually not. It's mainly about being awkward in yourself, about having a passion, weird friendships and even weirder parents. And that is all I can say without spoiling more of the book. I wish I had more of it to read. (I would read it again but by the time that this review is posted I will have given this book to my youngest brother.)

No comments:

Post a Comment