Thursday, 5 June 2014

Reading The perks of being a wallflower

I don't know what I can say about this book that hasn't been said before. As an avid lover of YA fiction I'm not sure how the book surpassed me before. (Or maybe I do know - it's difficult to love a book that is so hyped up by teenage girls around the world and so I just stubbornly avoided it.) The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky is about Charlie, a teenage boy with some emotional difficulties on top of all the usual difficulties of going to high school and finding friends who matter more than life. When reading this book I think it's important to keep in mind that 1) Charlie is not an average teenager and 2) this book is fiction. Charlie is a very unique individual and so is the story in this book. If you, like me, struggle with the concept that Charlie is abnormally intelligent and simultaneously more naive than children half his age; just bear with him. It is fiction. It is hardly a text to read in which you will recognise yourself. (Or at least I didn't.)

However, it is beautifully told and the family and friend relations are so on point. Even if the events are completely surreal to a lot of people, the essence (lacking a better word) of what it feels like when you love someone are illustrated in such a faultless way. Language and relationships are the two pillars in this book and together they overcome all the flaws that I would normally have trouble ignoring when reading a book. I may buy a copy of this book and keep it until my future children are of Charlie's age when I will present them with this story. Keep the cult following going for another generation or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment