Thursday, 3 July 2014

Reading The Cuckoo's Calling


I wish I could say that I read The Cuckoo's Calling before I found out that Robert Galbraith is in fact J.K. Rowling but alas, I cannot. There was an article about the fortunate ones who did read it before the big reveal and it obviously made me curious enough to pick it up. The Cuckoo's Calling is a crime/mystery novel which follows Cormoran Strike as he is asked to investigate a suicide committed by a super model. Strike has just gotten out of a long-term relationship, is homeless and with mounting debts which leads him to accepting the job purely for financial reasons. However, with the help of his secretary Robin, the detective begins to find holes in the stories of the people who were close to Lula Landry. 

There was a part of me who was very cynical when I picked up this novel. After all, who would dare give a negative review of anything written by J.K. Rowling? I'm happy to say that I was wrong. The content of The Cuckoo's Calling is nothing like Harry Potter, yet it has a similar easy flow, well-paced and entertaining. I had no issues getting lost in this novel at all (and I am not a crime/mystery person). The characters are entertaining and I did not see the end coming. Some reviews have complained about it being all talk and no action but that is personally what I look for in a crime novel. A modern-day Agatha Christie type story and perfect for summer reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment